Installing eBooks onto the iPhone for reading was nearly impossible. You needed to download third party tools, use scp, rename files, the works. To help, I decided to package existing eBooks for viewing on the iPhone.
Since this is an AppTapp repository, the books can be installed onto the iPhone from any location that the device has a valid network connection, GPRS, EDGE or WiFi.
To make use of the repository:
- Obtain an iPhone.
- Jailbreak the iPhone, I recommend ziphone for this task.
- Install Books, the iPhone ebook reader using the Installer application (http://code.google.com/p/iphoneebooks/ (1.37 only!))
- Add the repository to Installer:
- Start Installer
- Click "Sources"
- Click "Edit"
- Click "Add"
- Enter "http://library.pollock.ca/baen_books"
- Click "OK"
- Click "Done"
- Click "Refresh"
- Select "Install" at the bottom of the screen. You will see "Baen Free Library" is now available as an application category!
Just to clarify a couple of things. I am not providing copies of the .zip archives, they are provided to the iPhone by Webscription and Baen. The content of the files themselves are unchanged, although I have had to rename the html files to better fit in with the reader (I changed the SKU in the filename to Chapter).
To make it easy to spread these repositories around, I have uploaded the scripts I used to generate the repository to google code (iphoneebookrepo). If you would like to help, either with code, by reporting faults (thanks Ross!), or just general comments, I would appreciate it!
Take that Kindle!