Yes, I managed to finish it. I've managed to convince Project Gutenberg books to install onto the iPhone.
To make use of the repository:
- Obtain an iPhone.
- Jailbreak the iPhone, I recommend ziphone for this task.
- Install Books, the iPhone ebook reader using the Installer application (1.4+ only!)
- Add the repository to Installer:
- Start Installer
- Click "Sources"
- Click "Edit"
- Click "Add"
- Enter "http://library.pollock.ca/gutenberg_scifi"
- Click "OK"
- Click "Done"
- Click "Refresh"
- Select "Install" at the bottom of the screen. You will see "Gutenberg SciFi" is now available as an application category!
- Before you can install a book, you will need to install GutenMark, it is under Utilities. I am using it to format the files on your phone to save me bandwidth.
There are currently 163 books in the library, in English and French. The list of books I used is from Gutenberg's SciFi CD collection. Since I can convert any Gutenberg book at this point, if there is a favourite you are looking for, please let me know.
The installation software has a preference for the HTML version of the book if it exists, however it will use the TXT version and pass it through GutenMark if it doesn't. Both versions will be split into chapters using the very handy GutenSplit.